Sunday, April 17, 2011

Violin Musings

The other day when I was practicing my violin, I stopped looking at my music and watched my fingers. Since it was a minuet I've played often, I have it pretty much memorized. So as I was watching my fingers dance across the four strings of my violin, I thought of something. A violin is very much like a person's soul. How do I mean? Well, as I'm playing the violin, I can make something beautiful come out of it. When I move my elbow, my bow moves to a different string; when I move my fingers and bow together, a completely new sound is made. I have complete control over how the sound comes out.
Now relate that theory to your immortal soul. All of us can make something can make something beautiful come out of our soul. The way we talk, the way we act, the way we interact with others is all in our control. We can make the 'sound' that comes out of our soul be gorgeous.
But...when I play the violin, I can make ugly sounds come out of it too. Some people say that a violin can only sound pretty. Take my word for it-a violin can sound terrible! And I have complete control over whether or not it sounds beautiful or ugly. Again, let's take that metaphor over to the soul. We can make our soul 'sound' ugly, too. It all depends on what we choose to do.
Holy Week just started today, today being Palm Sunday. This is the perfect time to decide what you want to make your soul sound like. Do you want it to sound lovely...or not so lovely?
It's your choice....but I'd encourage the former. Just a suggestion.
In XC,
Cady

No comments:

Post a Comment